Friday 15 February 2013

The Power of Networks


Well a great week and I get paid for doing what I enjoy! I had a great coaching session with one of my Trustees on Tuesday when I was given challenging but invaluable feedback. The way to learn and grow.

Then I was at NCVYS in London in the afternoon hearing about how similar organisations are managing in the current climate – financial struggles but great opportunities. View was that local authorities were espousing out-sourcing commissioning/contracting but retaining/returning services in house. Central overhead costs of course increase as a % if services are outsourced or discontinued.

The networks theme continued today with a discussion with a consultant whom we have engaged to consider the SYF future using “Big Assist” funding from NCVO? Lottery funding. Promises to be a ground breaking piece of work.

Very interesting briefing about the “Transforming Youth Custody” published on Wednesday by the Ministry of Justice. . Gist is to create “secure colleges” for young offenders in which education and training is the main priority. There will be a lot of interest in this, especially as the current average cost is quoted as £100,000 per person pa.

Work on branding, new website, and the social enterprise is all progressing, and I had a very good discussion on Thursday with a colleague from RAISE working on an analysis of the dimensions/issues facing the voluntary sector in Surrey. And a whole lot more I can’t mention, so a really good week.

Giving a presentation to Surrey Guides tomorrow (yes I know it’s a Saturday, but there are no rugby internationals - great win by England in Dublin by the way - Delighted Assistant England Manager). As it's Lent I have given up alcohol and hope that’s of some benefit apart from the financial. Bulbs are out in the garden…must mean Spring is coming! 

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment